This makes a delicious brunch dish or for a quick supper served with a green salad.This is a lovely way to use any bits of cheese and stale bread.
Jarlsberg and Egg with a Hat on
- 4 slices medium sliced white bread preferably sourdough
- 150 g sliced Jarlsberg
- 50 g butter
- 2 eggs
- Butter each slice of bread on one side.
- Heat large frying pan and place bread butter-side down in the pan, frying until golden brown.
- Remove bread from the pan and make 2 sandwiches with the cheese with the browned side on the inside.
- Butter the 4 sides of the bread and with a 2" round cutter, cut a ring out of the middle of each sandwich. Keep the circle of bread still in the sandwich.
- Heat the frying pan and pop in the whole sandwiches.
- Fry on 1 side until browned and crisp.
- Remove the middles and turn everything over.
- Crack one egg into each hole.
- The lids will be a good indicator of how quickly the undersides of the bread is cooking.
- Continue frying the sandwiches gently until the egg is cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the pan and top with the 'hat'.