With 2 chicken breasts on my worktop and 1 hour before dinnertime, the culinary mind had to get moving to create an appetising and creative. I searched the fridge – homemade sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella ball, basil leaves and ….. I know a jar of mayonnaise.
Now, I have used mayonnaise as an alternative to oil or butter when grilling fish, and -when you think, it is egg and oil- have had good results. Great served with Bubble, Leek and Squeak Cakes.
Grilled Chicken with Mozzarella and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 2 chicken breasts each sliced into 4
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 125 g soft mozzarella torn into small pieces
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes halved
- 8 basil leaves
- Place the chicken on a tray and spread over with the mayonnaise.
- Place under a high grill for 10-12 minutes.
- Turn over and cook for a further 5 minutes..
- Top with the tomatoes, basil then the torn mozzarella.
- Grill for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with juices drizzled over the top.
Using mayonnaise in this way keeps the chicken moist.