A tasty morsel perfect for a snack,or with a drink. I like to use Dorset Blue Vinney with its beautiful flavour and it is great when cooked.
Stilton and Bacon Whirls
- 180 g puff pastry
- 140 g stilton rind removed
- 100 g lardons
- 1/2 finely diced onion
- Oven Gas Mark 4 / 180C
- Saute the lardons until starting to crisp. Add the onion and cook for a further 5 minutes over a low heat.Leave to cool slightly, then crumble in the stilton and mix well together to form a thick paste. Cool.
- Roll pastry into a square 30cm/12” X 25cm/10”.
- Spread the paste evenly over the pastry, going right to the edges. Press down well.
- Roll from the top edge towards you, keeping it as tight as you can without squashing the roll.
- Tuck in the ends and ensure the join is well sealed. Score at 1cm spaces. Chill well. By chilling for a longer time you will have a better round shape as it cuts more cleanly.
- When ready to cook, cut into rounds using the score marks. Place on a baking tray leaving room for spreading.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden.
Tip: Save any odd bits of leftover stilton, by crumbling them and storing in a pot in the freezer. They can be used for the recipe above or soups and sauces.