Even if you don’t like tomatoes most people do like a rich tomato sauce. Its worth taking the time in cooking this sauce to reach that creamy richness and give it a full flavour.
Rich and Creamy Tomato Sauce
Write a review
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 red chilli, finely diced
- 2 tsp paprika, smoked or unsmoked
- 150ml red wine
- 1tsp soft brown sugar
- 1 400g can chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- Optional additions
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Sweat onion and carrot in olive oil over a gentle heat for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic, chilli, paprika and fennel seeds if used, and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring well.
- Add the red wine, sugar and tomatoes. Stir well and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for a further 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste.
- Remove from heat and liquidise or zap to suit your taste.
- I prefer a slightly chunkier sauce to go with fish or pasta.
- I double up on this recipe and have some pots in the freezer for a quick sauce to go with a bowl of pasta or as a pizza topping.
Sheila's Pantry http://sheilaspantry.com/