I don’t know about you, but I really don’t like green peppers! It’s annoying when you buy an assorted bag and realise you don’t want to use the green pepper. Even roasted I find they still have that bitter taste. So, what to do with them? ….. An easy to make yet delicious green pepper and tomato chutney for using any green peppers you have lying in the fridge.
Green Pepper and Tomato Chutney with Indian Spices
- 4 to matoes chopped
- 2 green peppers diced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 small red chilies seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- Small handful chopped coriander to garnish
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a wide non-stick pan, add small onion and saute till translucent.
- Add the green peppers, tomatoes, cumin, turmeric, garlic and chillies and saute gently for about 20-30 minutes over a low heat, tossing occasionally, until the peppers are very soft
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool down.
- Add the tamarind paste and stir.
- Blitz or liquidize until smooth, slowly adding about 50ml hot water to make a smooth and slightly thick purée.
- Season to taste and top with chopped coriander.
- Serve at room temperature.