Delicious with a cup of tea or dunked into fruity yogurt. The lime really does make a big difference and goes very well with the coconut to give it an Asian influence.
Toasted Coconut Shortbread
- 75 g desiccated coconut plus more for sprinkling
- 110 g caster sugar
- Zest of 1 lime
- 225 g butter at room temperature
- 200 g plain flour
- 100 g cornflour
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ Gas mark 4.
- Spread the coconut out on a small baking tray and place in the oven for 5 - 6minutes, until lightly toasted. Keep an eye on it as it can burn fairly quickly.
- Line two large baking trays with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- Put the sugar into a large mixing bowl along with the lime zest. Work the zest in to the sugar with the back of a tablespoon. The sugar will turn slightly green, become very fragrant and look slightly damp.
- Add the butter and beat together with the lime sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the flour, cornflour and cooled toasted coconut and fold into the butter mixture until it starts to come together. Tip the mixture out on to a lightly floured worktop and use your hands to work the dough into a smooth ball.
- Flatten slightly, then with a floured rolling pin roll out until about 1cm thick.
- Cut into slices and lay out on the prepared baking trays.
- Fork the shortbread a few times then sprinkle with the untoasted coconut.
- Chill for about 30 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the edges are just lightly browned.
- Allow to cool on the tray then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tip; For a crispy shortbread cook for a little longer until golden all over.