These are so delicious and so easy to make, you will never buy muffins again! They have a wonderful flavour and the texture with the polenta coating is rich and moreish.
- 475 strong white bread flour
- 25 g fine cornmeal plus extra for dusting
- 7 g fast-action yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 50 g softened butter cut into small pieces
- 375 ml warm whole milk
- 20 g runny honey
- 1 tsp oil
- Tip the flour and cornmeal into a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the yeast and the salt onto the flour mix.
- Mix the honey, butter and milk together, then add to the dry mix to form a soft dough either by hand or using a mixer with a dough hook. Knead until you have a smooth and pliable dough.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with oil. Place the dough in the oiled bowl, cover and leave to prove for about one hour, or until doubled in size.
- Dust the work surface with some flour. Tip the dough out onto the work surface, gently knead and roll out to about 2 cm thick.
- Using a 8cm straight-sided cutter, cut out about 14muffins. Place the muffins, evenly spaced apart on each of the dusted baking trays, and lightly dust with cornmeal.
- Leave to prove for another 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat a heavy-based frying pan on the hob to a very low heat.
- Griddle the muffins for approximately 6-8 minutes, then flip over and griddle for another 6-8 minutes on the other side.