Beetroot thoran is a delicious Keralan side dish with mild spices. The sweetness from the beetroot and the coconut make it ideal to have alongside a spicy curry. I have tried using cooked and raw beetroot and although not the traditional way, I personally prefer using cooked beetroot.
- 2 small beetroot
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- pinch turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Wrap washed beetroot in foil and bake in gas Mark 4 / 180C for about 30 minutes until just cooked through.
- Leave to cool.
- Heat the oil in a pan with the mustard seeds until they start popping.
- Mix the grated coconut, shallots, chilli flakes, ginger and turmeric and add to the pan.
- Cook until starting to brown.
- Peel the beetroot and grate coarsely. Add to the pan.
- Cook gently for about 5 minutes until starting to dry, making sure you move it around the pan.