I love those pickled dill cucumbers you buy in jars. They are great with a salad, in a wrap with salad and hummus, with cold meats, cured fish and most cheeses.
Most supermarkets and farm shops now stock these baby cucumbers. They are tasty as they are or pickled with a little sweetness and mustard seeds which add a little heat. They are really easy to make and will keep for upwards of a month in the fridge. Try adding other flavours to the pickling liquor, such as herbs and spices, ginger and chilli.
Pickled baby cucumbers
- 8-10 baby cucumbers
- 350 ml cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 150 ml water
- Cut the cucumbers lengthwise into thick slices about 3mm thick.
- Put the remaining ingredients into a pan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat immediately and cool slightly.
- Place the cucumber slices into a sterilised jar. Pour the warm liquid over the top, making sure all the seeds are added. Lid and shake to mix.
- When cool place in the fridge and leave for a day before using, giving an occasional shake.