There is nothing as good as a family brunch around the table on Sunday morning. These muffins make a perfect choice and can be served with poached eggs and grilled or slow-roasted tomatoes.
This is a lovely recipe for using up that yogurt lurking in the fridge near its sell by date! Also try mixing the cheeses. I have made them with 25g stilton and 50g cheddar. It really goes well with the bacon.
Cheese and bacon muffins
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 150 g streaky bacon, cooked and chopped (weight before cooking)
- 75 g grated mature Cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp English mustard
- Pinch of cayenne or paprika
- 1 tsp dried herbs Parsley, basil or sage
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 70 g melted butter or 80ml sunflower oil
- 125 ml natural yogurt
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Add the bacon and cheese and fold in with the mustard , herbs and cayenne. .
- Mix together the eggs, yogurt and oil or butter and fold into the mixture with the lightest of touch, until just blended.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins. Sprinkle with some extra cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 180C / gas mark 4 for 20-25 minutes until golden and firm. Remove and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.