A light and moist cake this recipe can be made as a large cake but I like to make individual cakes as they cook evenly as the mixture is quite”wet”. It is perfect for freezing and ideal for using any overripe apples or pears past their best, and I have used different types of apples which give some added flavours and textures.
I buy bags of lemons and limes as they are a better buy and freeze rind and juice into ice cube holders or other small containers. I label them 1 or 2 lemons accordingly. It saves a lot of time and waste when recipes just want some rind or juice.
Mini Apple, Pear and Walnut Cakes
- 2 eating apples
- 2 pears
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 large eggs
- 125 g soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or clear honey
- 30 ml apple juice
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 110 g butter, melted
- 75 g walnuts, chopped
- Heat the oven 180°/gas mark 4. Butter 12 muffin tray. I use a silicone tray for preference.
- Peel, core and cut the apples and pears into small cubes. Place them in a bowl with the lemon juice and toss to coat.
- Beat the eggs until foamy. Add the sugar and beat until well mixed.
- Add the honey, juice, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Sieve half the flour and baking powder into the mixture then half of the melted butter. Repeat with the remaining flour and butter.
- Fold in the drained apples and pears.
- Divide between the muffin tray. Top with chopped walnuts. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and cooked through. Leave to cool before removing.
- Serve warm as a dessert with sifted icing sugar and clotted cream or delicious as a cake at room temperature.