Pomelo is a delicious fruit which we are seeing more in the shops now. Don’t be put off by the size of it. The skin is very thick and you have to make sure you don’t leave any pith as it is very bitter. The taste is similar to grapefruit but crunchier and slightly drier.
This salad has Thai flavours and harmonises sweet, hot, bitter and sour flavours. Its refreshing and with the addition of rice it makes a substantial meal.
Rice, Pomelo and Vegetable Salad
- 50 g brown rice, cooked and cooled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pomelo, peeled, pithed and segmented
- 50 g edamame peas, cooked and cooled
- 2 small carrots, finely shredded
- 6 radish, cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- pinch lime zest
- 2 tsp palm sugar or dark soft brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp chilli sauce
- Roasted peanuts
- Fresh mint, chopped
- 1 lime
- Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together.
- Place the rice in a serving dish and drizzle over the olive oil.
- Add the carrots, peas, radish and place the pomelo over the top.
- Drizzle over the dressing and sprinkle with the nuts, lime segments and mint if using.
- Serve immediately for the best flavour and texture.