A beautiful rich red marmalade/ jam, and perfect for the breakfast table, as well as baking and general cooking. I use a minimum amount of sugar but boil it for longer to get a thick but sharp marmalade.
For a sweeter tooth increase the sugar by 150g and decrease the boiling time slightly.
Strawberry and Orange Marmalade
- 1 kg Strawberries
- 1.3 kg granulated sugar
- 1 can Mamade
- Quarter the strawberries into a glass or stainless bowl.
- Sprinkle 800g sugar evenly over the strawberries and gently fold in to get an even coating. Cover the bowl and leave overnight to soak thoroughly.
- Gently tip the strawberries into a large pan and stir gently.
- Mix the Mamade and remaining 500g sugar together and gently add to the strawberries. Mixing well, gently heat the pan until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and turn down the heat slightly and stirring occasionally to prevent burning on the bottom of the pan, keep on a full simmer for about 20 minutes. Gradually bring the pan back to a rolling boil stirring occasionally and test for a set after 10 minutes, using a chilled saucer to test a sample teaspoonful. If it sets after a couple of minutes, then remove from the heat.The marmalade should reach setting point of 106℃.
- Leave the marmalade to cool and settle so the strawberries don't rise to the top when potted. Remove any scum from the surface with a large metal spoon and stir well to combine the fruits.
- Pour the marmalade into clean, warm sterilised jars and cover with waxed discs then lid tightly. Leave the jars upright to set, and store in a cool place.