Malaysian dishes ooze healthy ingredients and exciting flavours. This salad hits all the senses with smell, taste and vibrancy with a delicious mix of sweet, salty, sour and pungent flavours as well as contrasting textures, with fruits, vegetables, beansprouts and peanuts. The joy of this salad is that you can adapt it to meet what you have available.
If you don’t use all of the roasted vegetables, they are tasty tossed in my Tomato Sauce in a lasagne or with pasta for a quick vegetarian dish, topped with crumbled Feta cheese.
Rojak Medan - Malaysian salad
- 200 g bean sprouts washed and well-drained
- 1 head celeriac peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1 small butternut squash peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 red pepper cored and cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- Half a pineapple peeled, cored and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Half a cucumber peeled, halved, de-seeded and chopped into 1cm slices
- 1-2 pears - Asian are best if you can get them- peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 crisp apples peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 can Lychee drained
- 1 pkt 392g approx firm tofu
- 1 tbsp sesame or nut oil
- 125 g roasted peanuts roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- Place the celeriac, squash and pepper together in a roasting dish and toss well in the oil.
- Place in a moderate oven - Gas Mark 4/ 180C for approximately 45 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Leave to cool.
- Cut the tofu into small pieces and marinade in the oil for 30 minutes. Heat a pan and toss the tofu constantly over a high heat until it starts to brown.
- Combine the dressing ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients, except for the peanuts. Toss in the dressing and mix well. Sprinkle over the peanuts and serve.
I only use half of the roasted vegetables and use the rest in a lasagne with my Tomato Sauce.
It is worth roasting unsalted peanuts - simply pop them in the oven for 5 minutes at the end of roasting the vegetables.