Servings: 4 pizzas
- 100 g fine polenta
- 50 g plain wholemeal or rye flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt and black pepper
- 100 ml milk
- 50 g natural or Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 50 ml sunflower oil
- Coarse polenta to dust
- Pre-heat oven 200C/ Gas Mark 6
- Mix together the polenta, flour, baking powder and seasoning in a bowl.
- Measure the milk, yogurt and oil in a jug. Add the egg and beat together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine to a smooth batter.
- Sprinkle some coarse polenta onto a baking tray.
- Spoon a tablespoonful of the mixture onto the tray and spread gently to form a 12cm circle. Sprinkle with a bit more coarse polenta.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes until firm in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and spread with your favourite topping. A good rich tomato sauce compliments the base, which is quite bland but has a good texture and crunch. (One of my favourite toppings is Belazu Turkish Pepper Paste. )
- Then add any other toppings such as chorizo, cooked mushrooms, roasted peppers or ham.
- Top with your choice of cheese - Parmesan or grated cheddar.
- Bake for a further 10-12 minutes until golden and serve.