It’s a great recipe for adding your preference of flavour. I used the last couple of tablespoonfuls of Belazu Red Pepper Paste but any pesto, paste or sauce can be used.
Traditionally courgette is part of a ratatouille but as I didn’t have any and it’s not our favourite vegetable, I replaced it with sliced Brussel sprouts This gave the dish its slightly nutty flavour and went well with the red pepper……..a good way to use up leftover Brussels and may appeal a bit more to the ‘sprout-hater’ !
Ratatouille-style stuffed red pepper
- 1 large red pepper halved and seeded
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 small aubergine diced
- 1 small onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 courgette sliced or 12 blanched brussel sprouts sliced into 3
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato purée pesto or tapenade - I used red pepper paste. It’s a great way to use any of those jars that sit in the fridge half full.
- Parmesan shavings
- Optional additional seasonings -
- Chilli flakes
- Chopped fresh herbs
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the aubergine, tossing well to coat.
- Cook over a low heat for 10-12 minutes until soft and starting to brown slightly.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add the courgettes or sprouts and cook through for another 4 minutes.
- Stir in your choice of sauce. Season.
- Divide the mixture between the red pepper halves. Place on a baking tray.
- Bake at 180C/ Gas Mark 4 for 20 minutes until cooked through.
- To serve sprinkle with Parmesan shavings.
- Drizzle with a little herb oil to finish.