Green vegetables always make a colourful and tasty soup which is healthy and cheap to make. I always make a big pot and freeze into portions. Perfect for a quick lunch or warming mug after a winters walk.
The optional additions give a more filling soup which is packed with even more flavour.
Broccoli, Pea and Spinach Soup
- 500 g broccoli chopped into small florets
- 1 large or 2 small onions peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1.5 L water
- 250 g frozen peas
- 250 g spinach leaves
- 500 g milk
- Salt and black pepper
- Lemon juice
- 200 g blue cheese crumbled
- 200 g grated mature cheddar cheese
- 1-2 tbsp pesto
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the onions and cook until soft and opaque. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes over a moderate heat.
- Add the broccoli and toss well over a moderate heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the water and stir. Bring to the boil and cook for 5-10 minutes until tender.
- Add the peas and tear the spinach leaves into the pan. Bring to the boil and cook until all the vegetables are cooked.
- Reduce the heat and add the milk. Heat through. Remove from the heat.
- Blend until smooth and season to taste. Add a little lemon juice to enhance the flavour.
- At this point add any of the optional extras and stir well. Heat through to serve.