This salad is full of protein and fibre and is a great way to use up a variety of nuts lying in the store cupboard. It is full of vibrant colour and with the crunchy croutons and the warm of the salad beginning to melt the mozzarella, this can win round even the most sceptical of kale- haters!
Nutty kale, tomato and mozzarella warm salad with pesto croutons
- 200 g chopped curly kale stems removed
- 75 g mixed nuts cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, lightly toasted
- 2 x 125g mozzarella pulled into pieces
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes snipped into pieces
- 10 baby plum tomatoes quartered
- 2 tsp green pesto
- 1 thick slice ‘good’ bread white or brown, cut into 1-2cm squares
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp yuzu or 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs parsley, basil or chives
- Put kale into a large bowl and pour over boiling water to cover. Leave for 5 minutes then drain well and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the bread cubes until well browned on all sides. Stir in the pesto and mix well. Sauté for a further 2 minutes.
- Return the kale to a large bowl and toss in the nuts, tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Mix 1 tbsp olive oil, yuzu or lemon juice and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl. Add pepper and mix well to combine. Pour over the kale and toss well. Gently fold in the mozzarella.
- Tip into a serving dish or separate individual bowls. Sprinkle over the nuts and top with the croutons and chopped herbs.