A quick and easy sauce, tasty and impressive enough for a last-minute dinner party.For a vegetarian dish serve with roasted halves of butternut squash and sautéed pear.
Creamy Mushroom, Cider and Spinach Sauce with Sautéed Apple
Write a review
- 250ml single cream
- 250ml dry cider
- 2tsp cornflour
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 large knob butter
- 1 eating apple, top and bottom removed and sliced across into 4 slices
- 4-6 chestnut mushrooms, chopped finely
- Handful spinach, washed and chopped finely
- 1tsp lemon juice
- salt and ground black pepper
- Melt the butter gently in a sauté pan and put in the apples. Fry until golden then turn over and repeat.Drain them, keeping the juices in the pan, and keep warm.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and sauce for a couple of minutes over a medium heat.
- Add the cream and cider to the pan and bring slowly to a gentle boil.
- Mix the cornflour with the nutmeg and lemon juice to a smooth paste adding a little water if needed.
- Add to the pan, stirring well and cook gently, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and stir in and season to taste.
- To serve: Delicious with grilled pork or chicken. Serve with the sauce and sautéed apple.
- Tip: To use up fridge and store-cupboard bits replace -
- Cider with apple juice
- Cream with greek yogurt or creme fraiche
- Spinach with chopped fresh herbs
Sheila's Pantry http://sheilaspantry.com/