Its perfect to have in a soup bowl with a chunk of Naan or fresh bread for a winter warmer. If you don’t like aubergine, replace it with sweet potato or butternut squash.
Spiced Chick Peas with Spinach, Aubergine and Thai Spices
- 1 large aubergine diced
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 90 g creamed coconut dissolved in 500ml boiling water
- 600 ml boiling water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 400g Tin chick peas
- 225 g spinach
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh mint to garnish
- Place the aubergine, onions, garlic and ginger in a saucepan with the olive oil and sweat them in the oil until they begin to soften.
- Add the spices and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut water, lemon juice, and chick peas. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and heat. Continue to simmer, covered, on the top of the cooker for approximately 20-30 minutes or until the aubergine is soft.
- Chop the spinach and add to the pan along with the fresh coriander. Heat through to allow the spinach to wilt.
- Season with salt and black pepper and mix well.
- Garnish with the chopped mint and serve with rice, millet or quinoa and a green salad.