For a quick and easy loaf which doesn’t need any proving or kneading this is ideal. Choose your own mix of seeds to change the flavour.
Seed and Cornmeal Bread
- 175 g strong wholemeal flour
- 5 g bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 150 g coarse cornmeal
- 25 g oatmeal
- 125 g seeds - linseeds sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds
- 150 ml milk
- 125 ml natural yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp honey
- Oil a 1lb loaf tin and pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 5 / 190C
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, salt, seeds, oatmeal and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl.
- Mix together the milk, yogurt, egg, lemon juice and honey. Add to the dry ingredients and mix gently to form a wet dough.
- Tip the dough into the prepared loaf tin and bake for approximately 50 minutes. Check it is cooked through by tapping the bottom. It should sound hollow.
Tip: When cold, I cut the loaf into medium slices and store in the freezer ready for an open sandwich or to toast as it brings out all the flavours. Its delicious with a Welsh rarebit topping.