Gado-gado is an Indonesian salad which literally means “mix-mix” since it is made of rich mixture of vegetables such as carrot, bean sprouts, cucumber, green beans, potato with tofu and hard-boiled eggs, all coated in a peanut sauce dressing.
The joy of this salad is you can use such a variety of vegetables – raw or cooked- to suit your availability and taste.
I add cherry tomatoes for colour and flavour and blanch some carrots and celery to give a contrast in textures. This dish can be served as a quick and easy starter or increase the ingredients and serve as a main course.
Indonesian Salad with a Peanut Sauce Dressing
- 8 new potatoes
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 bag bean sprouts
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 sticks celery
- 2-4 carrots peeled
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oil coconut or sunflower
- 100 g smooth peanut butter
- 2 tsp chilli sauce
- 1 tsp tamarind sauce
- 1 tsp palm sugar or soft brown sugar
- 175 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 100 g unroasted peanuts
- Cook the potatoes until tender, and quarter when cool.
- Cut the carrots and celery into equal narrow lengths about 3cm long. Blanch in a pan of boiling water for 2 minutes and immediately chill in cold water.
- Peel strips from the cucumber and slice in half lengthwise. Using a teaspoon remove the seeds and cut into lengths about the same size of the carrots.
- Rinse the bean sprouts well and drain. Divide between the plates, placing in the centre.
- Arrange the carrots, celery, cucumber and cherry tomatoes around the plates.
- Halve the eggs and place on the bean sprouts.
- Drizzle with the peanut sauce.
- Heat the oil and cook the onion gently until cooked through without browning. Cool.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a blender with the onion and blend until evenly mixed. At this stage you can go for a coarse or really smooth dressing. If it seems too thick add a little boiling water.
The versatility of this salad means any odd vegetables in the fridge, such as mushrooms, beans, spring onions and cauliflower, can be used up.