A delicious cheap but satisfying vegetarian dish which children will love uncoiling! For a spicier sauce just add some Worcester Sauce to the sauce.
For meat eaters, try Mediterranean Lamb and Feta Filo Spirals.
Baked bean and cheddar cheese filo spirals
- 3 large sheets of filo pastry
- 1 x400g tin baked beans - drained in a colander. Reserve sauce to serve with spirals.
- 50 g grated cheddar cheese
- Black pepper
- 20 g butter melted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to gas mark 4 / 180°C
- Gently mix together the beans and cheese. Season with black pepper.
- Mix the butter and olive oil in a small dish.Take 1 sheet of filo and brush lightly with melted butter and olive oil. Place a third of the bean and cheese mixture along 1 long side of the pastry. Roll pastry to enclose filling, then, working quickly, coil the length of filo into a coil. Place on 1 large paper-lined oven tray, then brush with butter and olive oil mix. Repeat with remaining pastry, butter and filling.
- Sprinkle spirals with parmesan, then bake for 25 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Serve with the tomato sauce from the beans.