A comforting chilli which is perfect for Vegans or Vegetarians. There are several topping options and I like to use this chilli as a filling for Cauliflower pancake wrappers.
Watch the video to see the Chilli in a cauliflower wrapper.
Black Bean & Chickpea Veggie Chilli
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 yellow pepper seeded and diced
- 1 red pepper seeded and diced
- 1-2 sticks celery diced
- 1 large or 2 small carrots coarsely grated
- 1 red chilli seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 400 g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 400 g can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 400 g can can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp frozen sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp molasses
- juice from ½ lime
- salt & pepper
- Serve with choice of the following -
- extra lime slices
- chopped spring onion
- sliced avocado
- jalapeño peppers
- grated cheddar cheese
- long grain rice
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and stir. Cook until the onion is slightly translucent then add the garlic, celery and peppers. Stir and cook until soft (about 5-8 minutes). Then add the carrot, chilli and all the spices cooking gently to bring out the flavours.
- Dissolve the stock cube in 200 ml hot water, then add to the pan with the canned tomatoes,and simmer gently.
- Stir, then add the black beans, chickpeas, sweetcorn, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 25 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add a squeeze of lime, molasses and the vinegar, then taste and adjust seasonings adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with toppings of your choice. Chill or freeze the leftovers.