I like sweet potato and my husband prefers potato, so I’ve combined the two,and added some chopped Savoy cabbage and leek to make a slight twist on traditional Bubble and Squeak which is called so because the cabbage makes bubbling and squeaking sounds during the cooking process. The sweet potato adds a nice colour and flavour. Tastes delicious served with Chicken Breasts with Mozzarella and Sun-Dried Tomatoes.
Bubble, Leek and Squeak Cakes
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 medium potato peeled and cut into 8 pieces
- 4 Savoy cabbage leaves de-veined and cut into fine strips
- 1 leek trimmed and chopped finely
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- Put the potato and sweet potato in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until just softening.
- Add the cabbage and leeks to the pan, stir well and boil for 2 minutes more until the leeks are just softening.
- Drain well and return to the pan. Put over a low heat, stirring and mashing together to dry out any excess moisture.
- Cool. Season well.
- Shape into 4 patties and coat with panko breadcrumbs.
- Heat the olive oil and fry on each side for about 4 minutes, until golden brown.
Add any fresh herbs to the mix before shaping. Serving suggestions:
Top with a poached egg and crispy bacon
Serve with Grilled chicken with Mozzarella and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Goes beautifully with pan-fried salmon drizzled with a creamy dill dressing.