Fishcakes can be a bit dull. Lots of plain mash with very small flakes of a white fish mixed in and rather flavourless with bright orange crispy crust. Crushing new potatoes which have been cooked until soft gives a nice texture to add your fish to. Having a selection of different fish and keeping the pieces quite chunky adds flavour and colour.
Add your choice of herbs to the potato. You can use dried herbs or chopped spring onion.
The addition of some spice mix to the panko breadcumbs adds the flavour of your choice. so you can have a hint of Italy, Morocco, India or keep it simple with just some flavoured salt such as garlic salt.
Crispy and Spicy Crushed New Potato Fishcakes
- 340 g packet fish pie mix - I used a mix of smoked haddock salmon and cod
- 250 g new potatoes cut into small chunks
- 30 g butter plus 30g for frying
- 2 tbsp double cream or greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp chopped herbs - parsley , dill or basil
- 1-2 spice mix of your choice - bbq Moroccan, herb, Italian
- 50 g Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp capers chopped or kept whole
- Coarse black pepper
- Put the potatoes into a pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until really soft.
- Add the butter and cream and mash down to a lumpy but blended mash. Add the chopped herbs.
- Chop the fish pieces into small chunks and add to the potato mixture. Season well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 and shape into rounds about 5cm thick.
- Take 3 dipped plates and put the panko breadcrumbs into one adding the spice mix of your choice and mix well.
- Put the flour and egg into the remaining two plates.
- Dip each fishcake into the flour, then the egg and finally coat well in the breadcrumbs.
- Place on a tray. These can be frozen at this point or kept in the fridge for up to 2 days, depending on the date of your fish.
- Melt the remaining butter in a frying pan and as it starts to bubble , place the fishcakes in.
- Fry over a moderate heat on each side for 10-12 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve with salad or peas.
- Simply mix the mayonnaise with the capers and add black pepper to taste.