With more people now becoming gluten intolerant there is a big demand for gluten – free recipes. This apple cake is quick and easy to bake for any surprise guests.
Gluten-Free Apple Cake
- 8 oz / 250g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 4 oz / 115g Butter
- 4 oz / 115g Soft Brown Sugar
- 2 oz /60g Raisins
- 1 Egg
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 6-8 Tablespoons milk
- 8 oz / 250g eating apples peeled and chopped into 1cm chunks
- Demerara sugar
- Line a 8-9” tin, or 9 shallow muffin tray
- Rub the cinnamon and butter into the flour to fine breadcrumb stage
- Stir in the sugar and add liquid to make a sticky dough.
- Mix in the apple and raisins.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar before cooking.
- Put into tins and bake at 150C/ 300F gas mark 2 for 40 minutes for a large cake, 30mins for the individual ones.
Tip Converting a round cake to a square one To convert a recipe that calls for a round cake tine to a square, just decrease the tin size by 1inch. So an 8inch round cake will fit into a 7inch square tin.