A delicious and healthy alternative to potato. very versatile and can be used to compliment many dishes, vegetarian, meat or fish.
Delicious served with Pork in a Creamy Cider and Leek Sauce.
Mashed Cannellini Beans with Rosemary and Garlic
A healthy alternative to potato.
Write a review
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, peeled and chopped finely
- 2 tsp fresh chopped rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried
- 175ml chicken or vegetable stock, preferably salt-free otherwise the beans will be too salty as the stock will be greatly reduced.
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 large pinch black pepper
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add the oil, then stir in the cannellini beans, garlic and rosemary. Cook gently over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock to the beans with the pepper. It will look as if there is too much liquid but it does get absorbed by the beans!
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice off the heat and mash the beans with a potato masher, to the texture you prefer.
- I like a finer mash to go with any dishes with a sauce, and if I am using it to top a dish, I prefer a coarser mash.
- Tip: When reheating the mash, you might need to add some more liquid.
Sheila's Pantry http://sheilaspantry.com/