With all the talk about food waste, I find my biggest potential waste is bananas! You can only eat so much banana bread or banana muffins. This recipe is versatile and as well as using up bananas, you can replace the fruit bread with brioche, croissant, panettone, currant buns or gluten-free buns.
Fruit Bread and Banana Pudding
- 4 slices fruit bread
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 ripe bananas
- 200 ml single cream room temperature
- 200 ml milk semi-skimmed or whole milk, room temperature
- 50 g raisins
- Grease a medium-sized dish with some of the butter and spread the rest over the fruit bread.
- Cut each slice of the fruit bread into triangles and lay evenly in the bottom of the dish.
- Drizzle over the maple syrup.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and add the cream and milk. Beat well
- Slice the bananas into 2cm chunks and lay over the bread. Evenly shake over the raisins.
- Pour all of the egg mixture slowly over the bananas, pushing down gently as you pour.
- Leave to stand at room temperature for about half an hour.
- Push the top gently before placing in a moderate oven, 180C Gas Mark for approximately 30 minutes until just set. The custard carries on cooking for a while and the bread absorbs the moisture, so be careful not to overcook unless you prefer a more solid pudding.
- Serve drizzled with maple syrup and pouring cream.