These make a great last minute canapé or just a nibble with a drink.
I make a large batch and freeze them in a 12-portion roll.
You can substitute the onion with fresh chives or spring onion for a colourful result.
Cheese and onion whirls
- 150 g puff pastry
- 150 g mature cheddar cheese coarsely grated
- 1/2 small onion finely diced
- 1 medium egg beaten
- Oven Gas Mark 4 / 180C
- Roll pastry into a square 25cm/10” X 25cm/10”.
- Place cheese and onion into a bowl and add the beaten egg.
- Stir well to form a thick paste.
- Spread the paste evenly over the pastry, going right to the edges. Press down well.
- Roll from the top edge towards you, keeping it as tight as you can without squashing the roll.
- Tuck in the ends and ensure the join is well sealed. Using both hands gently keep rolling the ‘sausage’ to combine it well and slim it down to about a 30cm/12” length. Score at 1cm spaces. Chill well. By chilling for a longer time you will have a better round shape as it cuts more cleanly.
- When ready to cook, cut into rounds using the score marks. Place on a baking tray leaving room for spreading.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden.