A very versatile base for a variety of toppings, both sweet and savoury, and a great way to use any bits left in the fridge. If you haven’t any creme fraiche you can use Greek yogurt.
These can be made into small rounds and frozen ready to use as canapés. Simply wrap in foil and pop into the oven for 5 minutes. Delicious topped with Watercress and Goats Cheese Pate or Blueberry and Red Onion Marmalade topped with Somerset Brie or Capricorn Goats Cheese.
Crème fraiche griddle cakes
- 135 g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs lightly whisked
- 125 ml milk
- 100 g crème fraiche
- Butter for frying
- pinch salt
- Sift flour & a pinch of salt into bowl.
- Mix together the milk & eggs, stirring well, and add slowly to the flour.
- Stir in the crème fraiche to make a smooth batter.
- Heat frying pan & lightly butter.
- Gently pour mixture into pan forming approx 4” /10cm rounds
- Cook until edges are crisp & bubbles appear on the surface.
- Turn & cook undersides.
- Add a bit more butter to the pan before each batch.
- Place on a plate & cover with kitchen roll.
- Repeat until mixture is finished
Clotted cream with blueberries or strawberries.
Poached or scrambled egg topped with crispy bacon.
Sliced sautéed mushrooms topped with fresh herbs & a spoonful of crème fraiche.
Watercress pate with strips of smoked salmon.
Blueberry & red onion marmalade with goats cheese.
Thinly sliced leeks sautéed in smoked garlic butter topped with coarsely grated or thinly sliced Cheddar cheese.